Friday, January 26, 2007

A recap of what I'm up to...

There is lots of excitement surrounding my life these days, even though one big step (Lasik) is done with. I'm finishing up my job at Groundspeak (sadness!), searching for a job in San Diego, preparing my trip to Honduras with Tracy (2/5-2/14), planning my road trip to San Diego with my mom (2/22-2/28), and turning 30 on Monday, as well as the usual fun that accompanies moving (packing up stuff, finding a new tenant, etc.). There is never a dull moment.

This week, the big topic was job searching. Since I was not going to accept any job over the phone without meeting the company first, and since I didn't think any company would be silly enough to fly me down for an interview a week before I arrived there on my own, I was hoping to get rid of all the phone screen/phone interview steps with prospective companies before I left on my road trip, so that when I arrive in San Diego at the end of February, I could just do the in-person part, get the job offer, and start soon thereafter.

One company has thrown a snag in those plans. They have agreed to fly me down there for a day in between my return from Honduras and my departure from Seattle. I suppose this is alright, though I was looking forward to having my last week here without much to do. Then today, I had another phone screen with Company B, and they want to know when they could interview me in person. I have one more phone interview with them on Tuesday before we could talk details beyond that, but I'm optimistic. They want me to to extend my existing interview trip to include them, which presents some moral dilemmas (who pays?), but again, makes my life easier, and probably better, since I'd love to have companies compete for my services.

The big question for me right now is whether I want a small, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants company, or something more established. These companies are two extremes. Company A has only 4 employees (though it has excellent benefits), while Company B just got acquired by an 800 person company in Georgia, and seems a little more predictable. I've always made job decisions based on lifestyle, so I am tempted by the sure thing but think it would be cool to join something small and fast-paced. I'll have a better idea when I see these places in person, of course.

No comments: