Sunday, January 21, 2007

Eye update

Well, Thursday's procedure came and went, and I *still* have my vision. Amazing. It wasn't fun, to be sure, but at least that blurriness/glare in my left eye is gone.

The procedure itself turned out to be much worse than the original operation. After waiting three full hours in the waiting area (apparently they got really behind when someone unexpected showed up earlier in the day), I was the last procedure of the day, at about 6:30pm. Tracy's dad, who kindly drove me down to the appointment earlier in the afternoon, had already shown up to pick me up before I went in. Once I went in, I got to sit in the familiar chair from the first time, and they proceeded to go to work on my left eye. I couldn't tell exactly what they were doing, other than (a) it took more than twice as long as last Friday, and (b) I have a newfound appreciation for the term "irrigation" as it applies to eye procedures (for those of you wondering, it involves dropping lots of liquid in my eye to clear out all the "mess").

After it was all done, they told me that the wrinkles were gone (my eye was too numb to tell the difference), and warned me that I'd likely be in more pain from this one. He was right. Friday morning I went in for my follow-up and they took the contact lens out (another one they had put in overnight), and instantly my vision seemed to improve. The doctor was so satisfied with the results (no more wrinkles) that I don't even have to go back for a whole week! Of course, my eye still hurt quite a bit, so rather than going to work (which I intended), I came home and went to sleep. All this sleeping during the day really messes with one's sleep schedule!

My plan for the weekend was to do an overnight sailing trip with my roommate, and I was worried that my eye would prevent me from doing that. Fortunately, when I awoke Saturday, all was good in the world. It's amazing how quickly the eye heals! I wore sunglasses nearly the whole weekend as a precaution (and to keep my eyes from drying out), and the trip was great. More about that in my next posting...

No comments: