Sunday, January 07, 2007

Maybe I just shouldn't ski with this guy :-(

This morning, my friend Todd and I planned on heading up to Stevens Pass to go skiing (for those of you not from here, it's about 90 miles NE of Seattle). Combing over the weather forecast last night, though, I got some bad news: the snow level was supposed to rise to 4000 feet (the same elevation as the pass), meaning we might be in for some rain. Skiing in rain is supposedly pretty common in these parts, but it didn't exactly get me excited about it. When I woke up, it was definitely raining in Seattle, and quite windy as well. The temperature had risen to the mid 40's (a bad sign), but we decided to go for it anyway. I drove.

The first sign of danger was about halfway there, where we were warned that chains (which I own) or traction tires (which I do not) would be required for getting to the pass. I hoped they were kidding, since I've never had any lucky installing chains. However, when the snow starting falling, and sticking to the road, I had no choice but to pull over and try my best...only...my chains weren't there! I had accidentally taken them out of my car last month. So I did the most logical thing -- I tried going it without chains. The snow got heavier and roads got worse, and eventually, only 1/4 of a mile from the ski area, I had to pull over. Traffic in front of me had stopped on the on an incline and there was no way I was going to be able to start back up. We had to turn around.

This is the third time I've attempted to go skiing with Todd. The first time, I ended up pulling a stupid and leaving my wallet at a gas station on the way up. I noticed this halfway there, and we turned around in vain, never getting to actually ski. The second time was a year later, and on this day, Todd drove. We got to a particularly icy area on the road, with multiple cars already skidded out, and attempted to install his chains, to no avail (this was what led me to want to drive today!). We made it to the mountain nonetheless and had a great day skiing. And now this. I wonder why this guy wants to hang out with me!

Maybe I need that 4WD that Tracy always teases me about after all!

No comments: