Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"How are your eyes?"

This is the number one question I've gotten asked each of the past few days, and quite frankly, the answer hasn't changed. As discussed earlier, my left eye didn't heal quite right, while my right eye is golden. I went back to the Lasik center yesterday so they could diagnose any changes. Here's what I learned:

My right eye is seeing at 20/15, while my left eye couldn't see the big letters on the chart. The net effect is that my vision with both eyes is 20/15 or 20/20, and from this, they determined that my right eye is, indeed, dominant. What a find! They also removed the contact lens (with a tweezers/forceps, mind you!) and found that my left eye still wasn't healing well, and I would have to come back on Thursday to be operated on again (not the full-fledged Lasik, but something equally scary: "stretch out" the flap on my left cornea). This will be preceded by a sedative, and followed by lots of sleep. Just like last Friday. And the following day...yep...I've got to go in again. And again in a week. And again in a month. So all in all, I've got at least another four trips down there, to go with the four trips I've already made. I'm getting my money's worth out of this deal!

Thursday's operation (or procedure) is not likely to be as traumatic, since my right eye is not being touched. Basically, the flap on the left cornea is "wrinkled", and, lacking an iron, they're doing the next best thing. They don't seem concerned about it, and therefore I am somewhat less concerned that I'm going to have to go through the rest of my life with a blurry left eye. I did ask lots of questions, as always, and seem to have developed a reputation among the people there as "that guy who asks a lot of questions and seems overly worried about everything". Breaking out into a cold sweat while the doctor removed the contact lens probably didn't help my cause.

Stayed tuned for more exciting Lasik updates on Friday!

No comments: