Monday, July 10, 2006

Typical Seattle

Some people think typical Seattle is drizzle and coffee. Some people think it's a bunch of eco-freaks and computer nerds. Those are true, of course :). But I happen to think that one of the things that makes Seattle unique is how strangers you meet in public are so eager to tell you how to do stuff. It's not the same kind of snooty stuff you'd find on the east coast, but rather a genuine care in helping you live a better life. At least that's how it comes off, whether it's telling me I should wear a helmet when biking (what do you care?) or reprimanding me for getting plastic bags at the grocery store (I have a dog and re-use them!). People like to get into your business.

So it came as no surprise that the more yardwork I do, the more people will tell me how I *should* do things. I don't really mind -- I thinks it's funny (and sometimes helpful), so I usually listen. And given that I'm on a corner lot with twice as much frontage as most lots, I get a lot of advice.

Tonight was particularly humorous. I was edging a strip of grass with one of those Luddite manual edgers, and a guy walks by and the conversation goes something like this:

"Do you have a weedeater?"
"No"
"A gas-powered weedeater would have that job done in two minutes. I work for the Parks Department."
"Oh? That's OK, I can't justify it for the two times a year I might use it. Besides, it's good exercise" (it does make me sweat using the manual one)
"Well that's just a waste of your time"

...and he rambles off. Gee, thanks. Maybe I'll run out and get one now.

But here's the funny part. As soon as he left, I called Tracy to tell her about these people (he's not the first), and *while I'm on the phone*, not a minute later, another guy stops his beater car in the traffic circle, leans over to open up his passenger door, and proceeds to lecture me some more. "You should really get an earplug [for the phone]. Low level radiation from cell phones can cause brain damage to good brains like the one you've got. I do research at the University of Washington, and..." By this point I thank him and turn my back to return to work, suppressing my laughter. After all, this is the *second* time in the last month that this guy has stopped to give me a piece of advice while I've been working outside.

Welcome to Seattle.

No comments: