Monday, July 10, 2006

San Diego Surprise

This past weekend was the only one this summer that Tracy had both Saturday and Sunday off, and therefore presented the best opportunity to maximize our time spent together. She told me about it as soon as she got her schedule, and immediately tried to talk me into coming down. The only problem was, I wasn't really that interested in rushing off again. After spending four days on the water last weekend, and having my hands full with Sadie and two major projects going on in my house, as well as a complete turnover of roommates, I was thinking that my time would be best spent at home, catching my breath a bit.

However, on second thought, I knew that if I didn't go visit this weekend, I might not see her again until a wedding in Chicago in late September. So, unbeknownst to her, I booked a flight down there that fit perfectly around my work schedule so that I didn't have to take any time (which I don't have) or sacrifice time with her. My scheme was to tell her I was going to a movie with Vince on Friday night, calling her right beforehand and saying I needed to go, would it be possible to call back after the movie (my flight)? It couldn't have gone better. She was going out with friends and actually cut ME short, and by the time my flight landed, a message from her said that I had about half an hour left before she was going to bed. A short taxi ride landed me on her front step, but she wasn't answering her phone! I considered breaking in, or buzzing some random person in her apartment building, but then she called me back and all was good. She was genuinely shocked to see me.

The rest of the weekend was gravy. We spent some time on the beach, drove around through some of the neighborhoods to get a feel for the city, had a date night (dinner and a movie), etc. By the time I left, I think I had garnered enough good will so that I won't have to do anything that drastic anytime soon (I was getting in the doghouse for my reluctance to come down!). Ironically, she had flirted with the idea of a last-second trip up to Seattle, but smartly decided that wasn't worth it. It's a good thing, since I didn't really have a contingency plan had she decided to go that route!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet of you! She must have been so surprised!