Thursday, July 27, 2006

The bike cops

Seems like I could just have a full blog devoted to my bicycle adventures, since these days there's rarely a dull ride into work. Today's ride featured not one, but *two* of Seattle's Finest patrolling a stop sign in Fremont, trying to catch bikers not stopping for it. Besides the fact that it's not even a major intersection (one street is a one-way and another is a parking lot exit), and the fact they were standing on the side where bikers approach it on the uphill, it just seems crazy that our tax dollars are going toward this. I know I've ranted about the guys at the airport drop-off, but this trumps that several times over. Is it bad of me to hope that there was at least a car-bike accident here that prompted this? Looks like it's just for traffic's sake.

Fortunately for me, the anti-cops actually bonded together enough to tape a sign on to the Burke-Gilman trail right before the street that has the stop sign, and two people on that street verbally warned me about the cops. Good thing I wasn't about a minute earlier, because they were detaining someone as I passed.

On a side note, they could've very well stopped me for not wearing a helmet as I biked within a few feet of them, but they let me go.

3 comments:

tracysue said...

Will you please, PLEASE wear a helmet? With all the time I'm spending trying to save people who probably should be dead, I'd hate to see you end up in a similar situation when you could so easily prevent it by just buying a stupid helmet.

Anonymous said...

Dear goodness Adam!
I love bikes, bike on roads all the time, but I hate when bikes don't stop at stop signs when I am driving or when I am biking. It is so unsafe :(
And c'mon, you don't want to be the stupid boyfriend in the family-I don't want to call Tracy in Cali saying that your head is currently being scraped off the concrete (saw that happen to a guy one night).
Okay, I will stop harping you-
for now...

adam said...

Wow I'm guess I'm not painting the situation correctly. The stop sign I refer to is one where you have to bike *uphill* to get to. You can't even blow through it if you wanted to, and it's a wide open intersection where you could see the cars coming as you advance to it. I've found that on uphill stop signs (this one included), many drivers will just wave me through, even though they were at the stop sign first.

I welcome anyone to come biking with me to convince them that I am most certainly not a risk-taker on a bike. It's probably a higher risk to cross the street on foot than bike like I do. I do not blow through stop signs or red lights, and always make sure to have eye contact with a driver before going anywhere near their car.

And just who is this anonymous poster who criticizes but will not post a name? :)