Sunday, December 09, 2007

Business in D.C.

This past week, I took my first business trip in a really long time (I think going to NJ in the summer of 2002 might've been my last business trip). My boss and I headed to Washington D.C. for a quarterly conference called CISRAT -- don't ask me what it stands for, although the "C" part is an acronym within the acronym. Only in the military, right? The reason for the conference, more or less, is to go over modernization and availability scheduling for the Navy's fleet of submarines. Fascinating stuff, I know, but this is what I am currently writing software to facilitate, and it does present some interesting and unique challenges (as well as a whole bunch of jargon!).

The trip itself was pretty cool, even though this was my third trip back to the east coast in just over three weeks. We flew out on Sunday morning, and got in later that night. Monday and Tuesday were at the conference, which wasn't too bad because I had my laptop with me and a network connection, which allowed me to multitask when things got over my head (as they inevitably did). Since my company wasn't really an active participant, it wasn't too stressful either. By Wednesday afternoon, we were boarding our return flight to San Diego, leaving the snowy east coast for some nice Southern Cal weather. It was actually my first time flying into San Diego during the day, a pleasant experience that takes you over the desert and Grand Canyon, right through downtown and into the airport. Lots of cool stuff to look at -- I highly recommend!

No comments: