Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Buying a car from Christopher Walken

So on Sunday, Tracy and I decided to go test drive a few cars. Every so often, I need to re-evaluate my current car situation and determine whether it's time to move on. What brought this on was the fact that my car, despite its low mileage, is beginning to show some signs of wear and tear. The paint on the roof is fading, one headlight seems to be in the process of shorting out for the second time, and bumps are just a little bumpier. Plus, my gas mileage ain't what it used to be, and gas prices have gone up about 5 cents per day since I arrived in San Diego. And my commute is three times as long as it was in Seattle and requires a car.

For all these reasons, I decided to look at possibly a new Toyota or Scion. I first test-drove the Scion coupe, which looked a whole lot like my car at a fraction of the price, but didn't perform nearly as well. Next, I tried to test drive a Prius. Priuses are very hot down here for obvious reasons, and it has a lot of pluses that might get me to bite at the right price. When I asked to talk to a salesman, they presented me with Christopher Walken. Or so it seemed. Before he said a word, I could see an obvious resemblance, but after he opened his mouth, it was a no-contest. Here's a sample from a message he left me. (Apologies for the large file size) Compare this to the classic SNL skit and it all becomes clear. If only I had snapped a picture of him.

Despite his best intentions (this was his first week in car sales at age 58), I didn't end up buying a car from him. My car is still better than the Prius, especially as my driving declines when as I move to a new place in June. It was a fun day nonetheless.

MORE COWBELL!

No comments: