This weekend I think I made a rather significant transformation. For the last 20+ years of my life, I have been exclusively a skier. Now, after finally dipping my feet in the snowboarding stream, I proclaim myself ready to jump in with both feet (attached to a board).
Tracy and I went to Colorado for a few days; she for an interview, and I to figure out if this is some place I might want to move to. We stayed with one of my good friends from Brazil, Rafael, who moved there last year. On Saturday, the three of us participated in a group lesson for beginner snowboarders at Copper Mountain. Although it was a bit too slow-paced for my tastes, I did end up with about an hour at the end of the afternoon to see what I was really made of. After a few successful runs down the bunny hill, I ended my afternoon by (unintentionally) plowing into a woman at the bottom of the hill as I tried to keep my momentum going as long as possible. Reminded me of an early downhill skiing memory.
I have decided that, wherever I am two winters from now (which will surely be closer to a ski area than San Diego is), I will rent snowboarding equipment for the season and quite possibly get a season pass to a nearby area, in hopes of teaching myself to snowboard as well as I ski. There. It's in writing.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment