Have you ever had your company spend a ton of money on you (or even just a little bit), wishing that, instead of wasting the money, they would instead just give you the cash? Plenty of things come to mind -- free sweatshirts, backpacks, tshirts galore, and most importantly, business cards.
Yes, we got our business cards this week, in boxes of about 250. Now, I don't know how much these things cost. I've heard estimates as high as 80 cents, but I'll be conservative and say 50 cents. That's $125 worth of cards with my name on them that I'll never make use of. Sure, I may drop one in the jar at a local restaurant in hopes of winning a free meal, but for business purposes? I'm a software developer! I don't meet people. Certainly not anyone that would have any interest in contacting me at work. I've been working at Groundspeak for almost 10 months, and I've gotten maybe two phone calls at my desk (another waste of money on me), both of which were irrelevant to my job.
Over the years I've probably received 5 or 6 boxes of these cards (one company even gave me two boxes at once), and I might've used 1 or 2 cards for actual business purposes. And is there any particular reason that they always have to come in sets of about 250? Can't I get about 20 of them, and refill as necessary? It's almost as if there's an unwritten rule that you can't be a real business unless your employees have cards. What is this world coming to?
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have been waiting all my life for a job with business cards! They keep telling me I'm going to get them, but none yet...
You can use them to pick up girls in the bars. They are good for proving you are actually employed. Girls like that.
Tracy took my comment! That's exactly what business cards are for -- very handy. That's how I gave my now husband my number (penciled on the back). It's not as desperate as it sounds. Ok well msybe it is...here is every piece of vital information about me, in case you ever need an instructional designer...yikes.
Post a Comment