With a beautiful Sunday in front of me, and not much else to do, I decided to bike over to Mercer Island, a well-to-do neighborhood situated in the middle of Lake Washington. I had never ventured very far off the highway exits, so this was new territory for me. It was also new for me to bike in the bike lane alongside I-90. As expected the island is filled with lavish houses and lots of vegetation. The most pleasant surprise was how the whole island smelled like ripe blackberries ('
tis the season). Made me want to come home and make some blackberry cobbler for...me. Yeah, not so exciting.
Anyhow, the ride was between 34 and 37 miles (my bike computer and Google Maps disagree), and I was definitely ready to be done when I got home. It didn't help that as I turned the last corner to my house, the wind picked up to 10-15 mph
in my face. The psychology of being close to the finish line is really quite strong.
I've tried to plot my route on a Google Maps
mashup, but it didn't come out so good. If my GPS hadn't acted kooky (it had me somewhere over on
Vashon Island), I
might've just downloaded that track. But whatever.
1 comment:
I ride that I90 path a couple times a week. People who don't bike think it must be enjoyable riding across a lovely lake with lovely mountains. But the noise and garbage of cars a few feet away traveling at 70 mph makes it not so much fun...
Lou
Post a Comment