Friday, June 02, 2006

This week in my life

This week has been predictably busy, from completing my deck, launching a website at work, preparing for the big party this Sunday, having some friends in town over Memorial Day weekend, and welcoming Tracy back from Europe. Over the course of the week, I realized two things: the people I like least in society are cops at the airport, and I have to be the luckiest crasher ever.

My ire for the police at the airport came from picking Tracy up at the airport. Now, I've never fully understood why these guys are necessary. I've commented before about how dull their life must be (what constitutes a "good day" for them?). When they take their misery out on me, it makes me pissy. Very pissy. I was trying to time it so that I could pick her up right after she got her bags from baggage claim, and when I neared the airport, it seemed I had guessed just right. She didn't have them yet, but I moved very slowly around the circle before I arrived at the Delta area, dodging a cop right before I stopped the car and began making space in the trunk. Before I could get the trunk open, the cop asked me if I was picking someone up, because if I wasn't, I had to go. If I wanted to make space in my car, I'd have to do that somewhere else. He also told me that I can't be driving in that lane, and swerving around him like he was a "traffic cone" was not a good move on my part. I explained that I had just gotten a call, and she'd be out any second...he didn't care. His job was to make my life as miserable as his. So I drove off, pissed, and tried calling Tracy to see if she had gotten her bags. Naturally, she didn't answer, which only made me more pissed. So I circled again and sure enough, the same cop was right near where I needed to be. I wasn't sure *exactly* where Tracy was, but I knew she was out there. Fortunately, I saw her before he could accost me a second time. In all my anger, I didn't give Tracy a proper warm welcome. Bad me. I hate those cops.

The next day, as I was biking into work, I made a stupid last-second decision in the parking lot to switch from riding on the sidewalk to riding in the street. I missed the ramp, and ended up crashing at a pretty high speed. Now, crashing on a bike is never fun, especially when you're going fast, clipped in, and especially when you're not wearing a helmet like the law, your mother, and your girlfriend say. However, I must thank my lucky stars that I ended up with only a minor scrape on one hand, and another on my shoulder (on which I skidded on the blacktop). My bike was a little messed up, but I eventually rode on to work, with a lucky smile on my face. I've fallen a lot in my life -- on skis, bikes, hikes,etc. -- and never had I had anything close to a serious injury (although I've certainly deserved one!). My initial reaction is always the same: curse myself for being such an idiot, and then laugh at how fortunate I am, while people stop to ask me if I'm alright. Why can't I be this lucky in the casino?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of people, saying 'wear a helmet'!!!!

Lou