Sunday, October 21, 2007

Giving golf a go

This weekend, with Tracy off in Palm Springs for a conference on Saturday, I decided to get together with some of my friends from work or a day of golf. Maybe it was because one of the clients I am currently working on is a golf retailer, but I thought it was time to dust off what I learned in a golf class that I took in college nearly ten years ago.

It didn't go well. I hadn't so much as been to a driving range in several years, so just making contact was a challenge (I had several swings and misses). The course we went to was nice enough, a green oasis in the middle of a city whose main color is brown. The fees were quite reasonable, and, while it wasn't technically a par 3 (one hole was 395 yards), it was very do-able. I just hit a lot of ground balls. For the nine holes, par was 32, and I shot a 77. My (very patient) friends end up shooting in the 50's, so at least they didn't show me up too badly! After shooting a 15 on one hole, I was ready to close up shop for the afternoon. I'm glad I didn't, since in hindsight, I had fun and I'll do it again. Maybe my own set of clubs would inspire me?

Today, Tracy and I spent the afternoon at the beach. Honestly, it's probably only the third or fourth time I've been to the beach since I moved here, but it is quite a novel idea to go to the beach in October. Temperatures the next two days are supposed to top 90 degrees, which is also kind of new for me in October. I wasn't too keen on my first San Diego summer, but fall is turning out to be just fine.

1 comment:

devin said...

We should golf together.. I _THINK_ i can beat you.. That'd make you the only person I can beat.