I had always been taught that, when driving, you should stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk. In Hanover, NH and Seattle, this point was even further driven home, as cars seemed to look for pedestrians to stop for. But this morning, I learned just how different things are here in San Diego.
On my way in to work, there is a crosswalk along a relatively busy street (speed limit 30mph?), with flashing yellow lights over it. I saw a woman with a coffee cup standing in the crosswalk looking both ways, clearly hoping to cross. So, naturally, I slowed to a stop and assumed drivers in the opposite direction would do the same. After 10-12 cars, not one failed to even slow down, let alone stop. Even worse, a big tractor trailer 3 vehicles behind me go so impatient that he cut around the cars in front of him and passed in front of me!
Thursday, August 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's been a while since you lived in boston.. huh? After driving in this city for 5 solid years, and living here for 9, you seem like a saint to me just for THINKING about stopping.
Post a Comment